North Shore B-Line corridor identified for rapid transit
The corridor was first identified for rapid transit as part of the North Shore Area Transit Plan in 2012.
B-Line funding confirmedThe TransLink Mayor’s Council (of which the District is a member) confirmed funding for the Marine-Main B-Line as one of four B-Line projects in 2016.
Public consultationOver a two-month period, TransLink consulted with North Shore residents
• they talked to over 500 people at 7 open house events in the North Shore, including the Ambleside Farmers Market and Park Royal
• they received nearly 1,700 online survey responses
• they heard strong support for a North Shore B-Line from a diverse range of transit and non-transit users
• 87% support the Marine-Main B-Line
• 79% support street and traffic changes to make the B-Line faster
Council motion to support the B-Line from Dundarave to Phibb's ExchangeAt the July 9, 2018, Council meeting, Council voted:
1. The District support TransLink’s proposed B-Line from Dundarave to Phibbs Exchange; and
2. Following the development and presentation of the detailed design to the public, staff be authorized to work with TransLink to implement B-Line transit priority measures as follows:
• mitigate impacts to through traffic and parking, to the extent possible;
• achieves B-Line or better standards for opening day service in September, 2019, provided that any efficiency gains resulting from transit priority measures are reinvested into additional local bus
• takes advantage of available TransLink B-Line project funding to advance required upgrading/improvements; and
• subsequent to opening day, make adjustments and implement further measures to improve transit priority and traffic functioning.
INSTPP Report ReleasedThe report includes the following recommendation:
Implement transit priority measures, where feasible, including bus lanes, queue jumpers and
signal coordination, and ensure these measures are in place before the launch of the Marine-Main
B-Line in 2019.
Local Government ElectionA new Mayor and Council members are elected in West Vancouver
B-Line Community Information Sessions heldTransLink hosted, at the District’s request, two public information meetings and one meeting for the Ambleside Dundarave Business Improvement Association. The information presented was the result of years of planning.
Council Meets with TransLink for information on the proposalThis was the first presentation by TransLink to Council since the election. Council asked for further information to be provided at a subsequent meeting in January 2019.
Council meets with TransLink for more information on the proposal
After this closed meeting Council requested TransLink to provide the meeting materials for sharing with the public and determined to proceed to community engagement